Step 5 - Time to move in!
It’s here. The final step on your first home buying journey. After all of your hard work, you’ve made it. You’re about to move into your first home.
Each stage of your journey has led you to here. And while you’re definitely closer to being able to relax, this final step is no less important than the rest.
We recommend you take time to consider and plan your move. Being organised and understanding what’s involved means things are more likely to run seamlessly on moving day.
With Peet by your side, you’ll be sipping on a chilled glass of bubbly in your new home before you know it. Even if it is amongst packing boxes and a mountain of bubble wrap!
Sign up for the First Home Buyer ToolkitSign up for the First Home Buyer Toolkit
Closing the door on renting
If you’re currently renting, before you start to focus on the move into your new home, you’ll need to consider what needs to be done to end your tenancy. Being clear on your obligations is important.
- Do I need to clean the house/carpet before I leave?
- How much notice do I need to give my landlord? (this is critical, you don’t want to end up having to pay rent on top of your first mortgage repayment in the first month)
- How do I get my bond back and how long does it typically take?
- Are there any repairs I need to attend to?
- Am I up to date with my rental and utility payments?
Check out our blog with 7 things you need to do, before you can close the door on renting.
Planning for moving day
There’s a lot to consider in the lead up to moving into your first home.
- Book movers/ truck
- Source packing boxes
- Book cleaners for rental property
- Start packing - clearly label boxes
- Arrange helpers for the day
- Advise banks, schools, and utility companies of change of address
- Set up utilities at your new home - gas, electricity, phone internet
- Arrange care for children and pets
- Do a grocery order to arrive at your new home on moving day
- Arrange final inspection of rental property
- Confirm delivery of your bins with your council
Before you know it, moving day will be here. If you’ve put some time into planning the day, it’ll run seamlessly and in no time, you’ll be settled in and enjoying your first home.
To help with your planning, sign-up for Peet’s First Home Buyer Toolkit. You’ll get access to expert advice, handy tools and tips on making sure your moving process runs smoothly – including a comprehensive downloadable moving day checklist.
Our comprehensive Toolkit will guide you every step of the way to buying your first home. Sign up to our Toolkit and you'll receive:
Weekly email over five weeks with a new topic each week
Exclusive expert videos
Detailed checklists and fact sheets
Access to exclusive Q&A sessions
Downloadable guides and more.
Disclaimer: All content within the Peet Home Buyer Toolkit (Toolkit) is for information purposes only. While Peet Limited ABN 56 008 665 834 and its subsidiaries and related entities (collectively Peet) endeavours to ensure all information is current and correct, Peet makes no representation or warranty as to its currency or accuracy. It is recommended that you obtain your own independent advice before taking any action following reading any of the content or information within the Toolkit, including before making any commitment of a legal or financial nature or making any application for a financial product or service. Peet makes no representation as to whether a particular financial product or service is suitable to you or you will be successful in obtaining a financial product or service or purchasing a house and/or land. Please read the full disclaimer here.